I always feel excited for Katy to go on her annual summer trek to Utah. She learns, she has fun, she visits with relatives. She loves to travel. She pays for her trips herself. So why do I feel bad when she actually gets on the plane? Because - I let my baby get on flying death trap. I let her do something I hope to never do again in my life. I hate to fly. I'm afraid of heights, I'm afraid of take off and landing. I'm afraid to get out of my seat on a plane. After 9-11 I'm afraid of the plane being used as a bomb. Yet I let my husband and kids fly. They think its torture when we drive to Utah or Florida.
Just put me in a car with blaring beach boy Cd's and a a book on tape and I'm good. I drive to Utah and back by myself. Sure I'd rather get there faster but not if it it involves a flying bomb. and yet I just put my sweet girl on a plane, sent her to Dallas for a 3 hour layover where she has to change planes and get on the right one to Utah. Last year we met some people going to Utah while we were waiting for the plane, then she saw a guy she had just met at youth conference. so she was good, plus it was a straight through flight. This time we knew no one. We did see one couple with a BYU bag so I told her to follow them if they were going to her next plane on to Utah.
I don't know if this makes me a terrible mother or a good one. I do know I haven't been to bed since Friday night where I got 4 hours of sleep. Last night I couldn't sleep at all knowing I had to get up a 4 am. Maybe it's just exhaustion speaking here. Well I have got to get the house straightened and prepare dinner for 10 so I guess that's enough rambling for now.
Hopefully Katy will arrive safely in Utah at 12 and call me!
Sibling love
11 years ago
3 comments:
I don't really like to fly either Karen. Ben always tells me it is safer to fly than drive but I am not convinced :). Actually, I think flying could be a lot of fun I just worry too much and that is what ruins my whole experience.
What a fun time for Katy though.
You are a good mother, you are not transferring your phobias to your daughter . She will have a wonderful time and come back one happy , healthy girl. Uh, did she get there yet??
Yes, she did
Post a Comment