Thursday, October 16, 2008

I feel less than competent


I need to VENT!
Today was my first day working at McAlisters Deli. I felt so dumb. I was so nervous I was shaking for 3 hours. I don't really know why, other than it was so busy I could hardly breathe. The customers just kept coming. Of course since I had never used their computer cash registers before and there are about a zillion ways customers can customize their order and there are about a million menu items. I kept making mistakes or the computer would go into sleep mode and I would have to ask my trainer to open it for me or fix my mistake. Sometimes the customers would change their order after I had sent it back to the people making up the order.
Then, when I was sweeping out in the eating area I swept to close to people sitting down eating.
I would have to say my trainer was patient and the customers were really nice. I wish I had a sign that said I'm new, not stupid.
Anyway, I always feel more confident preparing the food instead of being the cashier person. I hope tomorrow is a better day and I don't feel so DUMB!

2 comments:

Nonnie said...

You are not dumb, crazy maybe but not dumb. You know you just want to do everything perfectly. Wait a few weeks if you make the same mistakes,THEN you may call yourself dumb. Otherwise you are in a "NO SELF-NAMECALLING ZONE."
Don't you for get it,Sparky. Let your light shine !!!!

McKay Coffey said...

Yep. That's the fast food life. Fun isn't it? I remember my first day at Taco Bell. It was terrible! They expected so much of me. It's too much too soon. I think they should have a training restaurant just for newbies. You'll get it down soon enough. Just don't be afraid to ask for help.