I took Katy to the Asthma doctor today for her three month check up since she was diagnosed with asthma. Good news - her pulmonary function was much better than last time.
A great blessing but not what this blog is about.
So we have been with out health insurance for three months now.--a scary thing with an asthmatic and a diabetic in the family but so far so good.
Today before I took Katy to the doctor I called to let them know we had no insurance and to get an idea of the cost of today's visit, last time I took her in for the initial visit the bill was 990 dollars, and that didn't include the medicine. but we had insurance then.
The receptionist at the doctors office told me the office visit would be 80 dollars plus what ever tests were needed, but that the Doctor often discounted for the patients with out insurance.
So we get there and they immediately did the pulmonary function test to see how the medicine is working and then the Doctor came in to visit. We told her about some of the side effects that Katy had been having so she changed the inhaler she uses. I asked if it came in a generic form, but of course the inhaled steroids are to new for that. The Doctor asked me why I was asking so I told her about our predicament and she laughed and said the inhaler runs about 200 dollars for one and it would last a month. But she had some samples for us and then she said she would discount her fees by not charging for the tests and reducing her office fee. The whole visit cost us 55 dollars and we left with two months of Katy's new medicine and a number to call when we need more. The doctor said she sees more patients everyday with out insurance because of job loss but she knows they will get a new job and insurance again, so she helps out by discounting when they are with out insurance.
With all the complaining you hear about doctors anymore, i just had to say how grateful we are to this kind Doctor for helping us out at this time in our life.

3 comments:
Wow! That's great news!
I'm grateful that you got such a wonderful,compassionate doctor. Super stuff :)
I can't hear enough of that story.The LOrd loves you an yes, LIFE IS GOOD !! I love ya friend..
Post a Comment