Sunday, November 2, 2008

"Glass Show" or where I spent the weekend

My dad is very talented. he worked at one job as long as I can remember, as an electrical draftsman, at one company, until he retired. When we were
young and he wanted a hobby, or maybe we needed new furniture, he learned how to do upholstery and reupholstered most of our furniture and made money doing it for others in his spare time. When I was a little older my parents started collecting depression glass, then my dad decided to learn how to repair, or 'grind' glass. So for thirty years he has been in demand at antique and depression glass shows all over. Now they do most of the grinding at home, people send him glass from all over the united states. He has a good reputation and does a great job.
He and my mom go to about 4 shows a year and set up and repair glass for people who come to the glass shows. They do two shows a year in Springfield, Illinois, and one in Belleville, IL and the one this weekend in St Charles, Mo I usually help them at the St Charles and Belleville shows. My sister is good glass grinder but I don't usually do any grinding unless it's my own glass, or my silverware that got caught in the disposal. I just help the customers and take in the money!
Here is my mom, she does rough grinding, then my dad polishes it up. She usually just does glasses, goblets and cups.
Here my dad has a glass on a a polishing cone.
Here my dad is reshaping a pitchers chipped spout. He is very good at these and likes to do them.

Here I am rough grinding (taking the chip out) of one of my friends glasses. Don't worry, it didn't break.
My dad taking the chips out of a candle stick.
So anyway this how I spent the weekend, and it was fun. We get to talk and see lots of beautiful glassware, and I get a two day break from everyday life, twice a year. My parents stayed at my house so we went out to dinner Saturday night and then came home and watched a movie, very relaxing.

3 comments:

Nonnie said...

Wow!! That was really cool to see!!I've always wondered aboutwhat kind of equipment you guys use...Now I know. I'm glad you go with your mom and dad. I know they love the time with you.

Judi said...

That is so neat. I've never heard of that. I guess if you have some pretty expensive glassware and it gets a chip and is worth having it repaired. What a talented man your dad is.

Anonymous said...

My glasses and candlestick look amazing ! THANK YOU!!!!!!